The List

My Perfect Podcast: Livvy Haydock

In this column, we ask a pod person about the ’casts that mean a lot to them. This month, it’s journalist Livvy Haydock who, in the latest instalment of her Gangster series, focuses on Brian Brendan Wright aka The Milkman, one of the UK’s most notorious cocaine traffickers

Share:
My Perfect Podcast: Livvy Haydock

Which podcast educates you? I’m a huge lover of Crime Junkie. Through telling stories of the missing and the murdered, you learn so much about the workings of America's judicial system.

Which podcast makes you laugh? Now You’re Asking hosted by Marian Keyes and Tara Flynn. The pair tackle really tough dilemmas brought to them by their listeners. They have such great chemistry and their humour is infectious.

Which podcast makes you sad or angry? Killing Death Row, a series I made for Radio 4. It explores the shortage of drugs on America’s death row and examines what the states are doing to maintain executions. No matter what perspective you come with on the death penalty, this series will have you questioning your beliefs.

Which podcast is your guilty pleasure? I am a big fan of Uncanny on BBC Sounds but also love the rawer stories in Spooked, some of which have really stayed with me. I can’t listen when driving at night on my own anymore; I’m always convinced something’s going to pop up in the back seat!

Tell us someone who currently doesn’t have a podcast but totally should. And why do you think their one would be amazing? My mum. Every week when she cooks the roast dinner, she comes alive with updates featuring ‘what your father did’, ‘pictures of cute dogs’, ‘the parish piss-up’ and, my favourite category, ‘you need to eat more, so I got you these!’.

Pitch us a new podcast idea in exactly 25 words My Frenchie Toby: a bit of a Danny Dyer type takes on Britain’s dog death row and questions why so many dogs are being destroyed.

Gangster: The Story Of The Milkman is available to listen to now on BBC Sounds. 

Related articles

↖ Back to all news